Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Accepted to B-school. Now what?

Now that the shock of being accepted to my top choice program is wearing off, I am beginning to think of the next steps. For one, I need to sit down, go through my finances, and figure out how I am going to pay for the degree, as well as how much time off I can afford to take before school starts. Having had a comfortable salary for the past few years, I managed to avoid keeping track of how much savings I had. Sad, but true.

I also just went through my equity grant at work, and realized that if I leave before end of July, I'd be walking away from a significant ($xx,xxx) chunk of money. I have been dreaming about taking the time before b-school to explore the world, so that's going to be a tough decision. Ah, the golden handhuffs....


3 comments:

  1. It'll be hard to turn down that much money when you're looking at a student budget for 2 years!! Take a couple weeks and see something in the US you haven't seen ;). You'll have 2 winter breaks, 2 spring breaks and breaks on either end of your summer internship - plenty of time to explore! Hehe.

    Most importantly....congrats!!! Take time to celebrate before stressing too much about your next big decision ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh, that's a nice chunk of money~~~I agree with Elizabeth~~and even then, you should still have about a month before school start?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow thats a reality check. I'd say take the money. loss of pay for 2 years is really a big issue. So try to get as much as you can!

    As the posts above say, you will have a lot of travel opportunities in the two years you are at MIT!

    ReplyDelete