Tuesday, January 5, 2010

How I decided which business schools to apply to.

WARNING: many stereotypes and generalizations ahead.

I only applied to two business schools, both in R1 (first round). Some might call it risky, considering acceptance rate for top b-schools is well under 20%. However, I am happy with my current job, so I did not see the point of applying to schools I was not interested in attending. How did I decide on the two schools? I went through the list of the top US business schools, and identified which ones would be the best fit. I am a big believer that the classmates constitute a very important aspect of the business school experience, so I drew on my knowledge of alums whenever possible. Here are my snap judgments:

HARVARD (HBS)
No doubt, a very good school with a great name, but the size (at 1800, HBS is one of the largest in the top tier) as well as the case method were a turn off. The turning point, however, was when I met an HBS alum at Forte Forum event (Forte Foundation is an organization that promotes women in business). The first thing that the woman said about her experience was that "she was a bit of an outlier as she had 5 years of experience before entering HBS." I have 5.5 years of work experience now, and I am significantly more prepared for the business school experience now than I was even 2 years ago, so I can't imagine a classroom where half the class has less than 4 years of experience. PASS.

STANFORD (GSB)
Stanford did not even bother to show up at the Forte event. Everyone else was there: HBS, Kellogg, Sloan, INSEAD, etc. Apparently, Stanford does not care much about women in business. The age (median work experience of 3.9!) was again a turn off. I actually visited GSB and sat in on some classes as otherwise the school seemed great (small size, nice weather, focus on entrepreneurship, international exposure, etc). Sadly, the age did really show in class discussions. It is a bummer too, as a lot of my co-workers who I respect deeply are GSB graduates. Of course, they all graduated few years back before the trend of accepting younger students emerged. Close call, and I almost applied in R2, but PASS.

NORTHWESTERN (KELLOGG)
Eh, I just wasn't that excited about the school. A few of Kellogg alums that I know are still unemployed, which I gotta say does not fare well for the school. PASS.

UPENN (WHARTON)
I have a good friend that graduated from Wharton and did not enjoy her experience there much. She said the people were very competitive. From few casual Wharton acquaintances, I can definitely see that. In addition, I have no desire to go into Finance. PASS.

MIT (SLOAN)
Hallelujah! Sloan is perfect. It's small, with a strong focus on technology and entrepreneurship, and the best part of all - people are analytical but fun. I can see myself fitting right in. Keeping my fingers crossed that I get in! APPLIED.

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO (BOOTH)
Another close call. Good school, solid curriculum, people are super nice, but I felt like the people were missing that special spark that made the Sloanies stand out. PASS.

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA -BERKELEY (HAAS)
Another school that has everything I am looking for: the size, the focus, nice people. Only minus is that it is not as well regarded as other schools, but on the plus size it has a strong brand in Asia. APPLIED.

DARTMOUTH COLLEGE (TUCK)
Another great school, and I gotta say that Tuckies are probably the closest knit of the bunch. Tuck is a bit too similar to my undergrad experience (small New England liberal arts college), so PASS based on the fact that I am looking for a different experience.

Feel free to throw flames my way now. :)

15 comments:

  1. I know this is way too late but I like your analysis and for tech and entrepreneurship, no doubt Sloan can offer you the best. Good luck and you should be proud of your strike rate in the applications ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such a nice information about How I decided which Business schools to apply to. To become a successful business man it is very imperative to choose the right institute. The MBA course gives a lots of knowledge on manager responsibilities and many more to become a successful manager. I have some Top MBA Colleges in Delhi. Get more details please visit:- MBA colleges in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just imagine about it and you provided me the correct information I really bookmark it, for further reading. But it would be great if you provide more details about Letter Case Converter I am just waiting this information .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nice information. I am sure, I will tweet this to my twitter account. This will help a lot of users. LOL美服代练

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cucumber Delite - This healthy Pickled cucumber snacks snack is my new .Dill Pickle Recipe, Heathy Snacks, Cucumber Recipes, Baked Cucumber Chips, Fresh Pickled Cucumbers make a cool, crunchy snack for a hot summer day. To show you are a savvy cook. this blog is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really inspirational to hear someone pursuing their dreams and becoming successful instead of following the traditional path. I have read your article about real estate. I think it's good and impressed to know your service. Thanks for share this Information.

    Message Broker examples

    ReplyDelete

  7. It's amazing to your sympathetic wife that's prepared to keep up your falter morale every time in your life! You do have such an interesting blog. Thank you!


    ATS EOD System

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely blog you have shared here with us. Really nice . Thanks for sharing here with us.

    --------------
    Zzp boekhouder

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wha! This is awesome full blog i like this sort blog. Respectfully this web journal have this quality huge cost, enhancements, thank for sharing this blog.Thank you such a great amount for sharing This post. It's gretful online journal I have truly delighted in staying aware of you on this site
    mesh print new orleans

    ReplyDelete
  10. I genuinely support to investigating your post.A commitment of gratefulness is all together to share about the tips for developing activity to the site. I likewise mindful of it post some more suggestion.I welcome your work post more data. Pvc shutters

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you are right. I was pleased when I heard one of my student saying, "I like it here because you are not a bunch of eggheads." We definitely hire tutors who can develop a positive rapport with the student.

    Free open vpn

    ReplyDelete
  12. YouTube contains not only comic and humorous video tutorials but also it carries learning related videos.Villas for sale algarve portugal

    ReplyDelete
  13. The frameworks communicated in this article going to manufacture development at you assert site are really tolerable, an obligation of appreciation is all together for such flawless post.Ideal mortgages in Portugal

    ReplyDelete
  14. I visit each day two or three locales and destinations to scrutinize substance, in any case this site offers highlight based substance. Triplay cimbra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Existing without the reactions to the inconveniences you've sorted out through this assistant is an essential case, and also the kind which could have genuinely affected my entire occupation if I had not discovered your site.
    Free algarve Property Guide

    ReplyDelete