Monday, January 4, 2010

First post! My Sloan interview.

I have very much appreciated advice of fellow bloggers on business school admissions process, so I figured this would be my chance to return the favor. Today was my Sloan (MIT) interview. I applied in October in Round 1, a few hours before boarding the plane for a vacation in Peru, and had been obsessively refreshing my email and checking Business Week forums until December 18 when I got my interview invite. Weeeeee! I was overjoyed.

Finally, the day of the interview (today) arrived. I had made sure to review MIT Sloan interview guide as well as STAR method, and I jotted down a few recent situations in which I displayed leadership or faced a conflict, so I felt well prepared for the interview. However, about 20 minutes before the interview I learned that a dear family friend passed away suddenly. I got into my interview location 15 minutes early, and took the time to read the Economist and force my breath back to normal. I had to make myself concentrate on the interview, and deal with the loss later. To be honest, it still feels very surreal, and will probably hit me hard once the adrenaline wears off.

I interviewed with Jennifer Barba, the Assistant Director of MBA Admissions. From the start, Jennifer was very welcoming and easy to talk to. She explained the process (which I was already aware of thanks to Rod Garcia's blog on clearadmit). She then asked me a few questions, for example, something I was proud of, or a time that I asked for help. The admissions committee ask that you provide examples other than the ones in your essay, so I highly recommend spending the time to come up with a few situations. The interview lasted exactly half an hour. I am confident that Sloan is a great fit for me, and hopefully that conviction shone through. Now the waiting game begins: T-28 (decisions to be released Feb 1!).

3 comments:

  1. Hi mba hopeful,

    Thanks for sharing the details of your Sloan interview. Would you be willing to post these details and the questions you were asked on the Clear Admit Wiki? If you're interested, please submit your content to wiki@clearadmit.com.

    Thanks again and best of luck with the admissions process!

    -Melanie

    Melanie Preston
    Clear Admit, LLC
    www.clearadmit.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to hear about your experience, I have an interview this afternoon with same person~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melanie,
    I would be happy to share the details once I hear back from Sloan.

    ReplyDelete